Saturday, May 23, 2009

Why do we do work?

Work went really well this week, even though we were soooo busy and short staffed. I'd much rather be busy and deal with some increased stress from that, rather than be less busy and be stressed from complaining nurses.
I was talking with a friend who also nurses and we were discussing why we like work. She talked about certain moments where you feel like you are witnessing something really amazing. Like when someone who has been so sick, takes a turn and begins to get better.
I had to work overtime for 2 hours as we were short 2 staff for the next shift. I hardly ever do it and it was my last shift, so I thought, sure why not? A family from out of town came to see a patient, and they looked so tired. I asked whether they had a place to stay, they didn't. So, I called a motel that I thought would be reasonable, clean, and close, and then drew them a little map of how to get there. They were really appreciative, though it maybe took 5 minutes to do. That is the kind of thing that keeps me feeling happy when I leave work. Naturally, the pay is good, benefits are good, and I live nice and close, so there is no commute, but honestly, it is the small things that give a sense of fullfillment. Like when patient brought me back a coffee (with cream and sugar-and I take it black), but I drank it and thought, how thoughtful is that? Someone is in the hospital and yet they gave this to me! Or a patient made me a piece of jewellery and wrote me a letter thanking me. Or holding a person's hand because they are scared. Or I see an old patient working and they remember me and we talk about how they are doing now, and I think 'they look great!'
We just got a contract extension and the gov't gave us a raise after this contract ends. Cost of living. To be honest, I think I make a lot of money already-this is not necessarily popular to say in the nursing station, and given the present economic climate, I thought we were lucky to get cost of living-again not popular. But this money wouldn't really mean anything if I didn't like my job and didn't feel happy while I was there. I don't always put in for missed breaks and stuff because I think that sometimes I can take a few more minutes on one, and I think that in the end, it all evens out. I do believe that it is OK for me to go the extra mile once in a while because it's a good job and I feel that I am appreciated at work. Happiness certainly is not contingent on the amount of money you make. I am not saying that I don't feel that I earn the money I make, because I believe that I do-it is sometimes a difficult job-but what keeps me happy there isn't the money, it is the actual work-with all its' difficult times.

No comments:

Post a Comment