Thursday, May 28, 2009

Ow

I did some training/recertification on dealing with violent situations in the hospital and reinjured my knee that I sprained 2 winters ago skiing. Stupidly I heard it crack during 1 situation, then thought, oh well try again. Then ended up on the floor. Now I am icing it and thinking I will probably need to wear a knee splint thing tomorrow at work. Nurse, heal thyself.
We talked a lot about violence etc. Really, though people often think that in psychiatry that it is so unsafe, I hardly ever feel unsafe at work. Only if someone is being particularly difficult and that hardly ever happens. I think nurses are much more likely to get injured in long term care, with people who have dementia. Or ER, where people are coming in off the street-with who-knows-what going on.
When people go onto the psych unit, they tend to be surprised at how quiet it is. We obviously try to keep it low key for a reason, as loudness stresses people out, but I think how difficult it is for people on other units with machines beeping, call bells ringing, people rushing around. How does anyone sleep? It goes on all night. I remember when Dad was in ICU after his sugery and he got delerium and the nurses saying, oh he needs to get some sleep. Well, whenever was there, lights were on, it was loud, how does someone who is all drugged up, in pain and not in their own bed sleep through all of that?
There are many ways that in the hospital we make healing difficult for people and I think noise stress is not looked at enough. Along with about a 1000 other things.

1 comment:

  1. It's true -- I couldn't believe how noisy T's ward was. He didn't sleep a whole lot. I think lack of sleep makes you feel nuts.

    ReplyDelete