Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Really

So this course I am taking ia all about relational ethics, which I would think I would be all over.
But I'm not.
I get that nurses need to be aware and willing to relate to their patients and always open to considering the effect of their care and interactions. It certainly makes sense to me.
Where I struggle is with the constant navel gazing (As Mom would put it) on how important this relationship to people getting better.
Naturally, if you are having care from a nurse, and you get good, competent, interested, engaged nursing care-that is what should happen.
But is some of this focus on the importance of nursing care, based on our own self interest?
I was looking up environment and effect of it on care and how nurses manage.
All the articles were written by nurses. well, given that it is central to what nursing does, ok I get it. But does every interaction with a nurse have to be a long relationship, or can we have small, kind interactions that do the job just as well?
I keep hearing about how as nurses we don't have enough time. But perhaps we are looking to the past too much, when people were in the hospital for a week or 2 after having a baby with no complications. Sure, there was lots of time for nurses to interact, but it wasn't needed. And though I do believe that as nurses we have an important role in people getting better-are we overestimating this role to make ourselves feel more valued? Would people get better anyway, and how much is about our needs, not the patients.

No comments:

Post a Comment