Saturday, August 22, 2009

Teaching

Who knew? So, I start teaching at the university! Psychiatry clinical to 3rd year nursing students-I have no idea what it will be like. I feel like it will be a good opportunity to promote the idea that mental health nursing is 1) not scary 2) found everywhere in nursing 3) a fantastic place to work. I don't think that everyone will agree with #3, but I should be able to reinforce #'s 1 & 2 and perhaps people will believe that psychiatry is Pretty Awesome.
It feels strange to be teaching-title is Clinical Associate. Maybe I need business cards?
I don't actually start with students until mid-Oct, until then I kind of hang out-go to some meetings and try to wrap my mind around what I will be doing.
I didn't think I would be teaching at this point in nursing, but I actually am quite excited about the prospect. I think it really does have to do with wanting to promote psychiatry as a great area to work in. People get so weirded out by it and there is a lot of stigma to overcome. As mental health professionals we don't do any favours by making comments at the nursing station that reflect poorly on our clientele. Honestly, I have been thinking about how to prepare students for that-appreciating humour and using it as a release while at the same time respecting patients all the time. Also to remind myself in the future that kind of talk is not appropriate-whether I am teaching or working as a floor nurse. Hmm, I already sound like a Matron.

No comments:

Post a Comment