Thursday, June 18, 2009

Injury Prone

So, sitting on the bed today I again threw my knee out. While putting on my knee brace, turned slightly on bed, pop from the knee, can't weight bear again. So, this is an interesting situation-what is it like to be a patient? Go to GP, who kindly fits me in within 1/2 hour. Refers me to ER, as still haven't heard back from orthopedic referral-going to ER results in quicker referral process. Richard is wheeling me around in wheelchair, as other option is to hop everywhere. I go through triage process, surprisingly, I am seen by ER Dr. and out of hospital by 1 pm, after getting there at 1130. Amazing, I kind of think-given about hearing about long time spent in ER and I knew this wasn't a serious thing-as in losing a limb, heart attack kind of thing. Now I have referral to orthopedic clinic for Tues. and am on crutches. Which of course, means I can't work. On the whole, it felt like I certainly got quick, effective treatment. I have to say though, that I think people responded slightly differently knowing that I work at hospital-a bit warmer, this may be just my perception and not accurate though. Plus, having a claim makes it quicker, and I don't think it was all that busy there today. I feel kind of embarrassed about being a patient-it does feel like I am putting people out. Not to mention how I feel about being off of work-as I am supposed to work this weekend- I wish I could just go and do something there, but seeing as how even navigating the house is problematic, I don't think it is an option.
On a positive note-the previous owners of the house had a grab bar in the bathroom-for the grandpa who was living with them. This has already come in handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment